The Department prepares the next generation of professionals through teaching and research which will meet the future demands of the country. The department has a dedicated and thorough professional and highly trained manpower who is imparting the latest knowledge to its future scientists and is actively engaged in high grade research that is being translated into solving the problems of the farmers. The Department has high ranking in all the public and private sector Universities by the Ministry of Science and Technology based on its teaching and research output.
The Department of Pathology is dealing mainly with diseases of food producing animals and poultry. Our staff is dedicated to promoting a strong, creative and intellectual environment where ideas are vigorously debated and rigorously tested. Located in the center of Pakistan's most intensive poultry and livestock producing area, the department reaches out and provides diverse experience in poultry and animal health. This department has major responsibility in undergraduate education (DVM) and offers 11 courses to DVM students. Apart from training of DVM students, the Department is also engaged in producing highly skilled manpower in the form of postgraduates. So far this department has produced 371 M. Sc. (Hons)/M.Phil and 29 Ph.Ds. At present, 60 students are enrolled in M. Phil and 11 in Ph.D. program.
Our graduates after completion of their educational program serve in various organizations such as Universities, Livestock and Dairy Development Department, Livestock Experimental Stations, Veterinary Research Institutes, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories, Poultry Research Institutes, Remount Veterinary & Farms Corps, Semen Production Units, Livestock Research Institutes, Agricultural Development Bank, PARC, NIAB, NIBGE and private sector such as poultry breeding farms, poultry commercial farms, hatcheries, feed mills, pharmaceutical industry, abroad, etc.
- To pursue targeted enrolment to meet industry and community needs for trained manpower.
- To build greater diversity in student population.
- To strengthen the existing linkage with different other institutions and explore more opportunities to collaborate academics and training.
- To provide highly professional leadership and academicians for national and international institutions.
- To link academics with ongoing research programs in the Department to enhance the understandings of the knowledge.
- To find further ways and means to bring innovation in academic programs and its diversification.
- To further increase opportunities for interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary academic programs.
- To start distant learning education in the form of refresher/new courses/training.
- To look for collaboration in academics with national and international renowned universities / institutions in split degree programs.
- Developing new areas of research to cater the needs of future in scientific developments.
- Developing collaboration with National and International Institutes to expand the research horizon to meet the new challenges in the field of emerging and re-emerging diseases.
- To develop the postgraduate curriculum to fit the future research needs of the country.
- To enhance the capacity of different labs of the Department to meet the demands of high grade research which will meet the needs of the future.
- Increase the admission in M. Phil and PhD degree programs to have more number of scholars actively engaged in research to address the local issues of the farmers and community.
- To widen the research horizon from livestock and poultry to marine science, zoo/wild animals and forensic pathology.
- To carry out research for the development of diagnostic kits or tests to meet the local demand of the field.
Department of Pathology owns a Commercial Diagnostic Laboratory, providing following facilities to the community.
- Post-mortem facility to the Livestock and Poultry farmers
- HA/HI test for antibodies titration
- Elisa and PCR facility for diagnosis of Infectious Diseases
- Cultural Sensitivity Test
- Haematology/CBC Analysis
- Serum Plate Agglutination Test/ Rapid Plate Agglutination Test
- Serum Biochemistry Analysis
- Blood Smear Examination
- Faecal Examination
- The department is also looking forward to have ISO certification for most of the services it provides and get entered into an internationally renowned laboratory network and will definitely have its own share in international collaboration in future.
- The outreach activity can further be expanded by an ambulatory service which is in future planning.
- The Department is also seriously thinking to establish its new laboratory extension facilities in other cities/towns and sample collection units to expand the extension activities.
- The Department is also looking forward to have its bi-monthly newsletter with educative material for farmers, professionals and for the community at large.