|Department of Plant Pathology - Overview|
With the inception of Punjab Agricultural College and Research Institute, Lyallpur, Plant Pathology was initiated as a part of Section of Botany in 1907. In 1934 Mycological Sub-Section came into existence as a part of Botanical Section. The independent Section of Plant Pathology however, came into being in April 1947, which attained the status of an independent department with the up-gradation of Punjab Agricultural College and Research Institute, Lyallpur to West Pakistan Agricultural University in November 1961. The present Department of Plant Pathology was shifted to new campus in 1976. In 2008, six research groups in the discipline of Plant Pathology viz; Plant Mycology, Plant Nematology, Plant Bacteriology, Mushroom Biotechnology, Plant Virology, Epidemiology and Integrated Disease Management, were established; each group comprises 2-4 members headed by a senior faculty member to address the research issues regarding their field of research and studies.